A Year of Dresses: Seaside Sailor Dress With a Fun Twist!


Can I just say, that I am super excited about this dress this week?  I love all of them, but this one is special.  This week I used the Seaside Sailor Pattern for girls, but made a dress that is 100% non-nautical.  It's all in the fabric choice and one simple collar modification!  Don't worry, of course I'll show you exactly how to do it yourself.  Believe me, you're going to want to try this one, it would even be a wonderful choice for your Easter dresses.




First, the details of the Seaside Sailor Dresses.  This pattern has both a baby and girls version and the modification I'm going to show you will work with both.  Seaside Sailor Dress for Girls includes seven sizes from 2 -10.  Seaside Sailor Dress for Babies covers sizes 0-24 months.  Don't forget about Dolly, there's a Seaside Sailor Dress for Dolly too!  These patterns are an advanced beginner level pattern simply because of the buttonholes.  If you are uncomfortable with buttonholes though, press in snaps are also an option.  Don't be intimidated by the collar, it is really straightforward and simple!

Now, how did I change a sailor collar into this more classically shaped collar?  It is unbelievably simple!

  • Start by printing and assembling your pattern piece.
  • Then grab a ruler and pen to mark your new cutting line.
  • To do this measure from the neckline just where it starts to curve. For Sweet Pea's size 2 dress I measured 3.25".  You will measure less for smaller sizes and more for larger.
  • Measure 3.25" out around from entire neckline to form a round collar shape. Hopefully these picture show what I mean.

measure from that pink mark out



  •  Now cut your collar, collar liner, and interfacing on the new line you drew.  
  • Assemble and attach the collar to the dress as per the pattern instruction passing over the steps for inserting ties (on the girls sizes) 
  • Because you have left the ties off, the front buttons will be prominent, so choose some pretty buttons to finish off your dress.
It's as simple as that! I added a cotton lace trim which I topstitched to the edge after sewing and turning my collar right side out. You could also add trim to the collar before assembling as per the pattern instructions.



I cannot express how pleased I am with the outcome of this modified collar. I love pattern versatility and this certainly meets the mark.  By simple fabric choice and easy modification I've created a dress that is not in the least nautical and has a whole new feel. 


The last thing I did was add ribbon to the hemline. This option is included in the instructions.  I used 1/2" grosgrain ribbon and stitched on at both top and bottom edges with invisible thread.




Sweet Pea deemed it good for dancing and twirling and loved the flowers on her dress!  Be sure to try this simple pattern modification and show us what you make over in the Tie Dye Diva Facebook Group.  

Here's your pattern details at a glance:















Comments

Marlene M said…
Oh, so cute! I'm going to have to give that a go.
Sarah Jones said…
I love this modification and the fabric choice! This dress is adorable! Must make it now!