A Year of Dresses: Miss Muffet Twirl Skirt and Button Necklace TeeTutorial


This week I made a Miss Muffet Twirl skirt out of a cute fall floral. And I'm back with another cute and easy way to dress up a purchased tee without an embroidery machine.  I love how easily a simple embellished tee can pull an outfit together!

Miss Muffet Twirl Skirt pattern is for girl in sizes 2-8.  It is a wonderful basic skirt that is perfect for showing off fun fabrics.  It's great for every season too, just change your fabric selection for a whole new look. This pattern is a beginner level sewing pattern.  Straight seams and gathering will result in this beautiful skirt. It is a very quick sew, perfect for picture day tomorrow or a birthday party this weekend.


I think my favorite part of the Miss Muffet skirt pattern is the built in bloomers,  Absolutely perfect for playing in style!  I admit, I didn't add the bloomers to this skirt because we are into tights weather, but in spring and summer they are essential!  The bloomers attach at the waistband and have an elastic casing on the legs.  Perfect for playgrounds and bikes, running and playing, twirling and dancing!


True to it's name, this pattern has optimal twirl-ability!  Sweet Pea thought it was great fun to watch her shadow dance on this super sunny day!



If you're looking to make baby sister a matching skirt look no farther than the Skirted Diaper Cover pattern for babies!


Let's take a quick look at Sweet Pea's button necklace tee.  It was a very quick project and looks adorable!

  • Gather your supplies.  You'll need a purchased tee (I buy mine at the local super-center for under four dollars), rick rack, and buttons. A glue stick and fabric marking pen are also helpful.
  • Start with your tee and rick rack.  I decided to make a double strand necklace.  Play around with length and placement until you like the length and shape. Then use a fabric marking pen to mark your placement.

  • I sewed on my lower loop first.  Heat seal the ends of your rick rack to prevent fraying.  I used a glue stick to secure my rick in place before stitching. Dry your glue stick with a dry iron to prevent any gummy-ness on your sewing needle.  I attached my rickrack with slightly longer straight stitch and used invisible nylon thread in the needle and polyester thread in my bobbin.  I used a size 70 ball point needle for sewing.
  • For the second strand of my necklace I went all the way around the back of the shirt for a true necklace look.  I also covered the ends of my first 'strand' of rickrack. Again, heat seal the ends and glue in place.  The glue in this application makes it very easy to be able to manipulate the tee under the pressure foot of your sewing machine while keeping the rick rack in the right place.

  • Now you're ready for the fun part.  Grab your button collection and play.  I did not use all of these buttons but started by grabbing a bunch from my collection that were the right colors.  For this part I like to have my skirt handy for reference.  After deciding on my button placement I used a dab of glue stick to hold them in place while sewing.  If you prefer not to use glue, I'd suggest marking placement of each button with a fabric marking pen.  I hand stitched each button in place, but you could also sew them on with your sewing machine.

  • Stand back and admire your cute button necklace tee!  I love the fun variety of buttons, The red apples were just perfect!
Just a quick word of caution: this embellishment idea is best for children ages three and over. Please be sure to sew your buttons securely so they do not become a safety hazard.

There you have it one more complete outfit ready for fall.  You'll love it so much I'm sure you'll want to make a Christmas, Valentines, and Easter version too! Fabric selection completely changes the mood of this skirt!



Now for your quick pattern rundown:
  • Miss Muffet Twirl Skirt pattern in sizes 2 - 8
  • Beginner level sewing pattern
  • Make with or without built in bloomers

Comments