A Year of Dresses: The Daydreamer Dress



Who's ready for week 7 of A Year of Dresses?  I think (hope!) that summer is in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest so for the next several weeks I will be bringing you styles that I love for summer!  I know, I know, in many (MANY) places it's already been summer for quite a while, please send that message up to Washington!  This week I'm showing you The Daydreamer Dress pattern.  This is the second Daydreamer Dress I've made (the first was for the TDD Sewing Exchange this past spring) and let me tell you, I LOVE this dress!

Have you been enjoying the A Year of Dresses blog series?  Make sure you click through and follow Tie Dye Diva on Bloglovin so you are sure to never miss a post!

Follow on Bloglovin


First let's talk about the pattern details.  The Daydreamer Dress is a girls's size pattern including sizes 2-10. The neckline of this dress is the show sealer!  The ruffled neckline really sets this dress apart and makes it unique!  There is a sash at the waist that ties in sweet bow in the back. The length of the dress falls below the knee and finishes with a ruffle hem.  


There are several options for fabric placement in this dress.  The neck ruffle can be made out of your main fabric as I did, or from a contrasting fabric.  Also, the neck, sash, and hem could be all the same fabric or each a different coordinating fabric.  Have fun and experiment on your fabric placement.


The fit of this dress is nice and easy!  The neckline has an elastic casing making it easy to take on an off over the head.  This also means there are no buttons or buttonholes!  The sash allows for cinching the waist in a bit or leaving it a bit looser, whichever you prefer.  


Sweet Pea is still small in the chest and waist for a size two
so you can see here I pulled it in a bit with the sash
These simple design features make this dress perfect for just about every occasion.  It it comfortable and easy for self dressing and playing.  But it is also dressy enough to go anywhere.  The Daydreamer dress is also a perfect balance of ruffles without TOO many ruffles.  It is ruffly and twirly enough to please a girly girl. but not too ruffly for girls that like a little less frill.



So whether playing house or heading to a birthday party this dress will be perfect.  The Daydreamer dress is bound to become a favorite in every little girl's closet!  

Here's your quick pattern rundown!

  • Girls sizes 2-10
  • Beginner sewing level
  • Below the knee length
  • Unique ruffled neck

Comments

Ruth said…
I have been thinking of trying this for a while and Rachel you have convinced me to give it a go. I like the way the neck ruffles cover the tops of the arms, especially as we have a real sun problem in the summer and really need to cover up, but also don't want to be hot.
Marlene said…
I do love this dress. I have only made one. I would like to make another one soon. My friend wants me to make one for her daughter, I'm just waiting on her to give me the fabric she bought for it.